Here at Anything But Cute we love to see all the seasoned and expert mixed media artists, but we also want to encourage those who are just getting their feet wet. Our design team will always be on the lookout for these exceptional artists, and you just never know when we might be giving out something special to a talented mixed media newcomer.
Make sure to put 'newbie' after your name in the linky so we know who you are.
(new refers to 'new to mixed media' NOT 'new to our challenge')
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, June 26, 2015

Spotlight Artist - Samra - Texture Galore

Hello everyone, Samra here of Paper Talk with Samra thrilled to share with you step by step of making this father's day card:


This card is filled with textures and I'll show you how I achieved this look.


I started off with a 6" x 6" piece of cardboard...


Covered it with Mod Podge and scrunched up white tissue paper. As you can see there is some extra paper around the edges, they are wrapped around the edges and glued on the back. You might ask later on, why did she even put on the tissue??? Well, I cover the cardboard with tissue paper since once it is dry it is way sturdier and covers up the edges of the cardboard so it almost looks like working on canvas...


Once tissue paper layer was completely dry, I covered it with thick layer of home made texture paste, (recipe can be found on Pamellia's blog HERE) and made groves with my Pampered Chef scraper (???) Works like a charm spreading the texture paste :)


Once paste was dry I painted it with shown paints...


Here is the closeup of the texture and crackle paint effects...



Here you can see the final touch to the weathered wood panel...


To create my sentiment I cut out the sign using my beloved Cricut, glued together all the cutouts and got a very dimensional sign which I covered with Mod Podge and black tissue paper. It was quite time consuming wrapping everything and making sure that letters are recognizable once everything is glued, but my husband sure is worth it, and some..:)


Once tissue paper layer was completely dry I rubbed almost dry paint brush that had white paint on it to get that carved in stone look... Well, that is it from me... I hope you enjoyed this post and it gave you at least some new perspective on using certain products while creating mixed media projects. 

There is still time to enter our current Challenge "Make it Masculine

Thank you so very much for stopping by.... 
Samra

35 comments:

  1. Wow, Samra! What amazing wood wood and carved stone textures you have created! I've always wondered how you made your lovely backgrounds, and so happy you shared it with us here today! You make that background look so simple, but I know so much love and attention goes into all your cards! Now we all have one more mixed media technique to try! Thank you for your fabulous tutorial and a great card! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sara :) That background is simple, you can apply any color you want depending on the project so it it one of my favorites :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, love the chunkiness of this Samra, looks so strong and perfect for Father's Day. Amazing range of textures, it looks fabulously tactile. Great tutorial. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing textures and tutorial samra, i will certainly try this out
    Adhiraacreations

    Adhiraa@Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. The panelling is very clever! Great tutorial! I'm sure your husband was thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was :) I am glad you like what I did Ros :)

      Delete
  5. Awesome tutorial ! The results are mind blowing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful tutorial!! I would love to try this...a gorgeous Father's Day card!!
    Take care,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Samra, thank you so much for sharing your wonderful background technique! It looks just fantastic! I am so privileged to receive a bday card from you with such a perfect background! Great tutorial, my friend and your card is AMAZiNG!
    Big hugs :)
    Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Branka :) It is simple to do and the result is quite good :)

      Delete
  8. Awesome project Samra! Love all the texture! Thanks for sharing your creative process! I bet your husband loved his gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, so good to see you stop by Mona!!! Yes, my husband loved his card :) The panel makes this card quite heavy, so he named this card a quarterpounder :)

      Delete
  9. Oh wow, Samra, this is stunning!! The texture is amazing!! Thank you so much for the step by step tutorial!! Wow!! I love, love this!! It's gorgeous and you are such an inspiration!!

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, you always make my day with your visit!!! Thank you so much my dear!!!

      Delete
  10. Terrific techniques to make this great card

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just fantastic Samra..fabulous technique and such a wonderful thick masculine project...love it.

    luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow Samra, this is a beautiful creation, I just love the background! I think I need to try Pamellia's homemade paste recipe too! Thank you for sharing the how to! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very kindly Anne :) The texture paste recipe is so easy and makes such great and inexpensive mixed media necessity :)

      Delete
  13. Jeepers!! Samra, what an amazing spotlight post on texture. I love what you have created here and thank you so much for sharing this with us too. That crackle is lovely and using the scraper is just genius. Just a cracking post and tutorial to read xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Textures abound in this wonderful creation. I love that you used the tissue paper and had the patience of an angel to wrap it around your letters. Wowzers! Your husband sure is special to receive this fantabulous piece of art! Thank you for sharing your process and writing this spotlight post. Awesome sauce! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  15. Samra, you have really rocked this Spotlight Post!! That background is absolutely amazing and I am swooning as I watch the magic unfold! You put so much TLC into wrapping up that text and it was worth it for that unique texture! Your hubby must have been gaga over this beauty! Thanks for all your hard work my friend, you are truly an inspiration. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, my dear dear friend!!! You give me wings...

      Delete
  16. Oh, the wood texture you've created is brilliant. Fabulous post! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful textured project for Dad - great step by step tutorial Samra!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! What amazing texture! Inspiring indeed! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete