Here at Anything But Cute we love to see all the seasoned and expert mixed media artists, but we also want to encourage those who are just getting their feet wet. Our design team will always be on the lookout for these exceptional artists, and you just never know when we might be giving out something special to a talented mixed media newcomer.
Make sure to put 'newbie' after your name in the linky so we know who you are.
(new refers to 'new to mixed media' NOT 'new to our challenge')
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Spotlight Artist - Cec - Foil Tape

Hello, it is Cec here and I am pleased to be presenting the spotlight post this month, which is about working with foil tape. 


There are sheets of foil tape on the market, some of which come in a variety of colours and while those would be useful when you need to make a larger element, you don't need to spend the big money that they cost in the craft store.  I pick this tape up at my DIY store and it comes in a very large roll that is 2" wide.  It is used in the heating and air conditioning business so I also have a roll of 3" wide tape because I talked the furnace service man into selling it to me out of his truck.

I am going to show you some sample pieces that I have made for the purpose of this spotlight and then will share a few finished projects from the past.


For the first one, I decided to add some texture under the foil tape by gluing down some gears, washers and drywall tape.  Next I cut small irregular sized and shaped pieces of the foil tape.  I peeled the backing off and affixed it to a scrap piece of card stock making sure I overlapped the edges and each piece.

I would suggest you start by laying tape loosely over your dimensional pieces first and use a paper stub to outline it.  In my experience if you lay down all your tape first and then start to outline it, you run the risk of tearing it because it is too tight.  Make sure you work on a craft sheet or something that will allow you to lift this up because once the paper backing is removed, this stuff is sticky.


Once I covered everything in pieces of tape, I trimmed around the edge of the panel and then I set about to give everything some pattern and texture.  I used a small embossing stylus, a two-pronged seafood fork, a paper stub and the end of a clickable ball point pen without actually clicking the pen.  I own a set of metal working tools because I was able to pick them up on sale but you can achieve a great effect with the tools I listed.

Once everything has some pattern, give it a good coat of a dark acrylic paint (in this case I used black) and then wipe the paint off so some remains in all the depressions you have created.  If it looks like you removed too much paint, just repeat the process.


Finally I took a variety of alcohol inks and gave the whole panel some colour.  I did not use any blending solution but put a few drops of each colour on my felt pad.


I covered a second piece of scrap card stock with just foil tape pieces and did not add any dimension underneath.  It was textured with the same tools along with a couple from my fancy set and painted black as the first panel was.


I gave this one a different colour palette and can see this appearing on a fall card soon.


Then I switched gears and created some flowers from the foil tape.  I started by cutting lengths of tape twice as long as I wanted, carefully peeled the paper backing off and folded it onto itself (adhesive to adhesive). This is a bit tricky because of how sticky the back is but it can be done and if it isn't perfectly aligned, it is no big deal.

The flowers were cut with a flower die but could also be hand cut.  DO NOT use your punches to cut them because the adhesive will gum up the punch and cleaning them is painful - a lesson I learned early on.


For these flowers, I ran them through an embossing folder but they could be given texture with the tools.  Once they had some texture they were painted black and the paint was wiped off.


Some alcohol inks were added to provide colour.


For this demonstration, I stacked three identical petals of each size, added a brad to the centre to keep them together and shaped them with my fingers and a dowel.  The foil tape is very malleable so it is really easy to shape them.  I did each one slightly differently.

As you can see, there are lots of uses for the tape.  Here are a few of my past projects that have utilized the tape.


This is a Christmas ornament I made for my tree and the top "petals" and a disc on the bottom are made from metal foil but I painted them with a dark red on the reverse side of the embossing and then highlighted the raised areas with Treasure Gold wax paste.


For this masculine card I added texture under and over the foil tape.  The zig zag is ric rac from my sewing closet, which shows that you can use all sorts of things to create dimension.


I added a foil tape flower to this frilly steampunk card.


Here I used the foil tape to create the mermaid's tail using an embossing folder to give it texture.


This card has a foil tape wing that I cut by hand and textured with an embossing stylus.


Finally, this is a cigar box that I literally covered with foil tape to make a treasure box for my 6 year-old Grandson.  It is looking a little worse for wear because he set it on the floor, threw his comforter on top of it and forgot the box was there so his Daddy stepped on it when he came in to tuck him in.  I have tried to fix it but I will wager I have to make another one because he loves it and I am not sure the repairs are going to hold up.

As you can see foil tape is a very versatile product for crafters so I hope you will pick some up and create with it too.

There's still time to join in the fun for Samra's mood board challenge...Summer Romance.

You have until the 4th of August to play - and you'll find all the challenge details as well as lots of inspiration from the brilliant Anything But Cute design team by clicking on the challenge link.

Happy Crafting
Cec!

30 comments:

  1. Fantastic Spotlight post, Cec! It's so inspirational and I enjoyed reading! Your stunning metal flowers are my favorites! I love to play with foil tape and you showed us so many ways of using it! Your art pieces displaying use of foil tape are just brilliant! Bravo!
    Huge hugs! Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Cec for this wonderful tutorial!!! So many different ways to use it, just fantastic!
    Samra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is brilliant I have to try it,I've used pop cans to cut, emboss and ink etc in the past,so I'd love a go at this Debbs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. FABULOUS!!! I love the idea for the bauble in particular Cec but it has to be said, each and every one of these projects looks superb. Thanks for sharing. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab tutorial. I have a roll of metal tape but don't use it as much as I should....thanks for the nudge to dig it out and make something with again.....not as wonderful as yours though!
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just fantastic Cec! I have a roll of this tucked away somewhere that I have never used, but you have really inspired me to pull it out and give it a try! Thank you for all your hard work on this wonderful tutorial and I'm so glad you included some of your gorgeous projects! Really loving the metallic flowers, wowsers!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Cec, what a fabulous spotlight, each and every project is superb - I love the gorgeous flowers and the mermaid tail is wonderful! Even the 'battered' box looks amazing! A very inspirational post, thank you for sharing your talent... Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh jeepers Cec! I love foil tape as well but never even thought to use it to make flowers! How awesome sauce is that!!! Love this tutorial and all this amazing information. Your ornament ball is now on my CAS list dearie. Thank you so very much for sharing your designs and for putting together this superb tutorial! Hugz to you muffin! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Amazing Pamellia, gorgeous results, great designs. Will have to look into getting some of these.
    Hope all is well with you, I have been so busy I have not been able to Comment much, hopefully things will change soon.

    Love & hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Cec! I really don't know where you get your ideas but my goodness I am inspired to get some tape and play! I love the flowers! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gteat tips and beautiful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gteat tips and beautiful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many thanks for this fabulous Tuto, like the great ideas and will try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a brilliant Tut! I shall certainly be trying it out it looks great! thank you! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful tutorial Cec, time to head to the hardware store!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous tutorial, Cec! You have really inspired me to check out the hardware store! Shame the plumber was just here a few days ago, and I could have shopped then! What amazing projects you have created to use the foil! I really love your sample pieces the best, and I can't wait to see what you will create with them...although I love them just as they are Bravo on a brilliant spotlight! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful tutorial. I love both of the first panels....can't decide which color combo I love the most. You always inspire me, need to get my foil tape out. hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such an excellent tutorial Cec - thank-you for fab inspiration! You sure have lined up brilliant projects using this technique. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous! One of my most favorite techniques, ever :) Thanks so much for inspiring, love your awesome samples!~kim

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is amazing Cec, and I just love foil tape, it has so many amazing properties! Your work with it is just incredible! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Curtain poles could be the best way of beautifying look of your curtains as these are available in numerous designs and materials.Nowadays curtain tracks or poles are used widely in almost every house for hanging drapes or curtains. кассандр

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. tape storage singapore

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know your expertise on this. I must say we should have an online discussion on this. Writing only comments will close the discussion straight away! And will restrict the benefits from this information. tape storage

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think this is an informative post and it is very beneficial and knowledgeable. Therefore, I would like to thank you for the endeavors that you have made in writing this article. All the content is absolutely well-researched. Thanks... singapore tape storage

    ReplyDelete
  25. thanks for this usefull article, waiting for this article like this again. https://medium.com/@tapestorage2

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I’ve read some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website. https://penzu.com/p/c20d80c4

    ReplyDelete
  28. If you are looking for more information about flat rate locksmith Las Vegas check that right away. order online tape storage

    ReplyDelete
  29. Whether you are a young amateur or an experienced professional swimmer, one thing is certain: you will look and feel like a real-life mermaid with a black mermaid tail!

    ReplyDelete