Here at Anything But Cute we love to see all the seasoned and expert mixed media artists, but we also want to encourage those who are just getting their feet wet. Our design team will always be on the lookout for these exceptional artists, and you just never know when we might be giving out something special to a talented mixed media newcomer.
Make sure to put 'newbie' after your name in the linky so we know who you are.
(new refers to 'new to mixed media' NOT 'new to our challenge')
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

New DT Members - Welcome Lisa and Autumn!!

Pamellia here, and I am so excited to be here today to introduce you to not just one, but two extremely talented ladies who will be joining the design team here at Anything But Cute! Do stay tuned and get to know these ladies as they introduce themselves to you!


It takes a special kind of artist to be able to mix two different art styles together successfully, and Lisa does it better than any crafter I have seen! Her shabby chic softness is just breathtaking and the way she blends that softness with mixed media products is not just a matter of skill, but also a real talent for balancing paper and paste. But Lisa doesn't stop there, she also does vintage, quirky, bold and beautiful and so much more...lots to love about everything she makes! I am just tickled pink to get to craft along side her over the coming months, and I know you will all be truly inspired by her creations!


Hi, everyone!! My name is Lisa from A Mermaid's Crafts. I am a writer and I live in southern Indiana in the USA. I've always loved to craft but didn't seriously pursue it until about fifteen years ago when I became hooked on the craft shows HGTV used to air. I first saw Tim Holtz on The Carol Duval Show and fell in love with his grungy, inky style.

I started blogging in March of 2011 and have loved every minute of it. My style is always changing, but my current favorite is shabby chic. I love distressed edges, torn paper, crackle paste, shabby stitching, lots of flowers and ribbon. I admire people who can do CAS because I just can't. I have to have layers...big open areas on a card make me break into a sweat. I have an almost compulsive need to keep adding embellishments!! I have a serious die, stamp and crinkle ribbon addiction and probably have enough paper to cover the earth...yet I still keep buying more (not quite hoarder status, but close ;). I'm so excited to begin this journey with this amazing design team!!


I've picked out a few of my favorite mixed media pieces to share with you today. I had so much fun making this canvas, which combines two of my favorite things...the ocean and mermaids :)


This canvas was a gift for my sweet niece. The sentiment is one of my favorites so I wanted to build a scene that was filled with texture and visual interest.


I rarely make masculine projects...I love flowers and ribbon and bling too much :) But for this steampunk inspired canvas, I used a mixture of metal and wire and texture paste. Even though it was masculine, I couldn't resist adding a butterfly and this one made of gears was perfect for this.


This journal page is one of my earliest attempts and also one of my favorites. I love the vibrancy of the Dylusions sprays. I filled waterbrushes with different colors of the sprays to color the leaves. A funky Dylusions stamp and Beeswax floor stamp finished the page.


Mixed media cards are my favorite thing to make. I love adding layers, texture and dimension to cards. This one includes several of my favorite mediums...crackle paste, texture paste, distress inks and sprays and frantage.

***


Autumn is fairly new to the crafting scene, but she has exploded across the mixed media world with her amazing creations!! I fell in love with her work instantly and just knew she was going to be someone to follow and keep watch on! She does it all, layouts, cards, tags, you name it, and her styles are just as ranged as her project base! She has such a great way with texture and dimension, even on a flat surface, and every creation is filled with elements that you want to reach out and touch! I really look forward to seeing what she creates and can't wait to get to know her better as an artist and a friend!


Autumn here to share just a little bit about myself...I am married to an amazing man, and my biggest supporter.  We have four children, yes four!  I live in the US and work full-time as a church secretary. I have been stamping for over 15 years, but making art throughout my entire life. Creativity is my outlet, passion and purpose. I define my style as grunge meets elegance. Though I love to distress everything, I like to balance my work with a touch of pretty and neat.  In addition to stamping, I love to draw and paint and have found that mixed media allows me to blend these skills and create rich artwork, filled with depth and texture. I started my blog, SewPaperPaint a little less than a year ago. The girls at Anything But Cute have been such an inspiration to me in my first year of blogging.  I am thrilled to be joining this team!  


It was no easy task to sift through my work and pick "favorites", but I picked a few pieces that I feel really showcase who I am as a mixed media artist and stamper.  This butterfly piece is my favorite mixed media creation to date.  I love the soothing colors, the subtle grungy texture and the vintage elements. I love the stamped focal point and the little crocheted cocoon. I can't relate this piece to anything else and think that is what I love most about it, the uniqueness.


This reverse canvas is another favorite because I love the natural, woodsy feel of it.  It was a gift to a very dear friend and has sentimental meaning.  I like all of the layering and imagery and puddled paint around the frame.  Handmade embellishments are one of my favorite ways to dress up a project.


I love constructing mini albums and filling them with my collections.  Here I enjoyed using a hodgepodge of leftover paper and tons of stamps.  I love the simplicity of this cover and the handmade flower stem and tape.  When I need a card idea, I flip through this album and pick a layout. Works for me every time!


As far as journal pages go, this is my all time favorite.  I drew the feather and made a stencil from it. I love developing my own designs and experimenting here with neon paints, and the contrast with the shadowy, ethereal background.  Not to mention, I really enjoy lettering and handwriting in my projects.


As far as cards go, though I do love making my own backgrounds, I always enjoy a nicely layered card from designer paper.  I love mixing multiple patterns with the "more is more" theory.  This card is a favorite because of the pretty vintage seam binding, the DIY embellishment, and the machine stitching.  Using inspirational quotes and scripture is one of my favorite ways to personalize my cards.

Again, thanks so much to this team for welcoming me!  I cannot wait to join in these artful adventures with you!  Also a huge welcome to Lisa, who is such an amazing crafter and encouragement.  Hugs, Autumn

***

Are you folks as blown away as I am right now?? WOW, look at all those gorgeous projects!! I feel so lucky to have scooped these talented gals up, what a treat it will be to learn more about these ladies behind the scenes and share their work with you every month!

Lisa and Autumn will be presenting their first projects for Anything But Cute on May 5th for our One Year Blogiversary Challenge!!! You won't want to miss out on this one, as we will have tons of surprises and prizes!!

Happy Crafting, Hugs Pamellia :)

30 comments:

  1. Congratulations Lisa and Autumn!! I can't wait to see what you two very talented ladies create!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!!!! Especially Lisa, one of my fav designers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to both of you ladies!
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats ladies!!Beautiful work!!Have a good day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to both, and I'm so happy the see Lisa here! I'm a big fan of her sweet and amazing layers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations ladies. You both do awesome work and will be great additions to this team.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  7. New to your blog. Lisa is a wonderful addition to your team. She has wonderful mixed media talent. Have a BEE-utiful day!
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Lisa & Autumn, (gorgeous name) fabulous creations, I am sure you will both fit in perfectly with t he rest of the team. looking forward to seeing more of your creations.

    Love & hUgs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations..so looking forward to your wonderful and creative projects x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome, Lisa and Autumn! I'm thrilled to have you here as my new teamies! You do awesome work, and I can't wait to see what you will make going forward! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoot Whoot Autumn and Lisa is the Anything But Cute house! Raise the roof because these ladies are on fire! So happy and thrilled that both you lovelies are my new teamies! Gorgeous and fantabulous designs you have shared today, and I am sure this is just the tip of the iceberg! Hugz and Carpe Diem dearies! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to Lisa and Autumn! I can't wait to see more of their fabulous creations!!
    Sherrie K

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to Lisa & Autumn!! Can't wait to see your wonderful creations!
    Have a blessed day,
    Migdalia
    Crafting With Creative M

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to both of the new team members - and yay Autumn!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats to Lisa and Autumn! Lisa, has been a blogger buddy of mine for many years and every single one of her projects leaves me in awe still to this day. She is so talented, and I'm very excited to follow along in this new adventure :)
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations to both ladies. I've been following Lisa for awhile and know how talented she is. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Autums's work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations to you both, can't wait to see what you create! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. So thrilled Autumn and Lisa to have you as part of this wonderful team, I am so looking forward to creating alongside you both! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations to Lisa and Autumn! I'm already a fan and follower of Autumn, and looking forward to seeing Lisa's creations as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats to Lisa and Autumn. Look forward to your projects.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations!!! Lisa and Autumn are not only amazingly talented, but also lovely people! I am excited for them and for this inspiring crafty home. I cannot wait to see your projects alongside an already-spectacular team! Congratulations, ladies! :o)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Two truly fantastic additions to the team! Wonderful selection of their work, both are so very talented. I can relate to 'fear of white spaces' and 'more is more' lol. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Two truly fantastic additions to the team! Wonderful selection of their work, both are so very talented. I can relate to 'fear of white spaces' and 'more is more' lol. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  24. A huge welcome to Autumn and Lisa! I am so thrilled to have you as my teamies and I am looking forward to creating alongside you both! What fantastic projects you have shared here! You both are awesome! Hugs! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations Lisa and Autumn. I know how awesome Lisa's work is, I've been following her just about from the beginning. I'm new to this Blog and can't wait to see what's coming...thanks to Lisa for introducing me to it.
    Happy crafting
    Dee B

    ReplyDelete
  26. A warm Welcome to you both Lisa and Autumn!!!! Your artworks are totally gorgeous. Coco xx

    ReplyDelete